Here are some interesting survey figures from Daniel Pipes. They show a hardening of attitudes to Islam and Islamism among those questioned. As Mr Pipes states, the more we know about the violence both physical and the violence of attitude shown by the followers of Islam, the more we grow to disrespect it and want it to be controlled.
These figures from Germany, France and Australia show a preponderance of negative views of Islam.
“Germany, as reported by the Institut für Demoskopie Allensbach in November 2012:
- 56 percent: striving for political influence
- 60 percent: revenge and retaliation
- 64 percent: violence
- 68 percent: intolerance toward other faiths
- 70 percent: fanaticism and radicalism
- 83 percent: discrimination against women
In contrast, only 7 percent of Germans associate Islam with openness, tolerance, or respect for human rights.
France, mostly from early 2013:
- 67 percent say Islamic values are incompatible with those of French society
- 70 percent say there are too many foreigners
- 73 percent view Islam in negatively
- 74 percent consider Islam intolerant
- 84 percent are against the hijab in private spaces open to the public
- 86 percent are favorable to strengthening the ban on the burqa
Australia, from the Roy Morgan Research Ltd in October 2013 and reported today:
- 38 percent: a growing Islamic population and Islamic immigration are bad for Australia
- 44 percent: strong, clear link between Islam and terrorism
- 50 per cent want the Shari’a banned
- 53 percent: ban the burqa from public spaces
- 57 percent: Concerned about Islam in the world today
- 70 percent: Australia is not becoming a better place because of Islam.
Daniel Pipes noted that the figures for Australia are lower than those of France and Germany, but he expects the figures relating to a negative view of Islam to rise. This would fit the pattern that I’ve seen elsewhere which is that those who have the least knowledge of or association with the world of Islam are those who either approve of Islam or are agnostic about it. As Islam stresses Australia more and more over the coming years, I also would expect these figures to rise.
Hat Tip Twitter